Voting for Athlete of the Month begins
Voting for the Cape Coral Breeze Athlete of the Month for November is now open.
There have been countless top performances from student-athletes in The Breeze coverage area to start the new school year and now it’s up to readers to decide who will earn top honors for the month.
Nominees for November include:
• Justin Lewis, Mariner Tritons, senior: The playmaker continued to lead the high-powered Triton offense in a 50-34 football win over Cape Coral in the annual Black and Blue Bowl. Lewis threw for four touchdowns, and ran for another, totaling 182 yards of offense.
• Tadarien Green, Cape Coral Seahawks, junior: The wide-out made big play after big play for a Seahawk squad that fell to Mariner in the annual Black and Blue Bowl. Green had four total touchdowns on the night, including three receiving scores (110 receiving yards) and a 95-yard kickoff return.
• Kerrian Habing, Bishop Verot Vikings, senior: Habing was named to the FACA District 18 All-Star team, which includes seniors from classes 1A through 7A, and selected to represent District 18 in the state FACA All-Star Game. She led the Vikings this season in kills, aces, and hitting percentage.
• Daniel Lynn, Cape Coral Seahawks, junior: Lynn finished fourth overall in the state in the FHSAA Bowling Finals, marking the best finish for a Seahawk bowler in school history. The junior knocked out the No. 1 and No. 3 seeds in the tournament before being eliminated.
• Deshon Jenkins, Bishop Verot Vikings, sophomore: Jenkins rushed 18 times for 257 yards and two touchdowns to lead the Vikings’ rout of Mulberry in the opening-round of the playoffs. His rushing total was the most in a Vikings’ game since 1994.
• Melissa Blaine, Cape Coral Seahawks, senior: Blaine finished second in the 200 individual medley in the FHSAA Class 3A State Championships in Ocala, and brought home a fifth-place finish in the 500-freestyle. The senior also contributed to the Seahawks’ 200 medley relay team that came in eighth; and a seventh place in the 400-freestyle relay.
• Samantha Chitu, Oasis Sharks, senior: Chitu helped the Sharks girls soccer team to a 3-0 record last week, where she netted four goals versus Dunbar, assisted on the lone game-winner versus Charlotte, and added one goal and assisted on two others versus Port Charlotte.
• Bryce Bruni, Ida Baker Bulldogs, junior: Bruni tallied a hat trick in the Bulldogs’ first win of the early season 10-2 over Gateway Charter.
Athlete of the Month nominees are comprised of the Breeze’s staff-selected Athletes of the Week for that respective month. Voting is open until Nov. 30 at noon.
To vote, click the “Vote Now” icon on this site.