Voting begins for Breeze Athlete of the Month for May
Voting for the Cape Coral Breeze Athlete of the Month for May is now open.
There were a number of top performances from student-athletes in The Breeze coverage area and now it’s up to readers to decide who will earn top honors for the month.
Nominees for May include:
• Jake Mueller, Island Coast Gators, Senior: The Alabama commit went 7-for-12 over three games for the Gators, totaling seven RBI and four extra-base hits. Against Evangelical Christian, Mueller blasted two home runs, the second being a walk-off, two-run shot in a 6-5 win.
• Crimson Lawrence, Mariner Tritons, Sophomore: Lawrence helped the Tritons to a 3-0 week in the circle and with the bat. She went 6-for-11 at the plate over three contests, and tossed two complete games, including a 9-inning shutout versus Fort Myers. In three appearances, she pitched 19.2 innings and allowed two earned runs, six hits and struck out 27.
• Cheyenne Waddell, Mariner Tritons, Senior: The senior was nearly perfect in the circle over five innings for a Triton team that took a 10-0 district semifinal win over Cape Coral. Waddell did not allow a hit, stuck out seven and hit one batter while going 2-for-3 at the plate with 2 RBI.
• Mia Lane, North Fort Myers Red Knights, Sophomore: Lane helped lead the Red Knights to a first-round 5A regional championship tournament win over Ida Baker with a 4-RBI performance, including a bases-clearing triple.
• Alexalys Torres, Bishop Verot Vikings, Sophomore: Torres was a big contributor to the Vikings’ 14-0 win over Clearwater Central Catholic in the opening round of the 3A state tournament, knocking in three runs and going 3-for-3 with a double.
Athlete of the Month nominees are comprised of the Breeze’s staff-selected Athletes of the Week for that respective month.
To vote, visit www.capecoralbreeze.com.