IMAG announces a ‘grand reopening’ of the Snack House
With a profusion of cheeseburgers, milkshakes and fries and copious cups of coffee, the Snack House in the Collier Arcade building was an iconic landmark in Fort Myers from 1949 to 1993; a place where locals met for good food, good conversation, and great times. Closed for a little more than 25 years after Win Ellis, entrepreneur and owner, retired from the restaurant business, the Snack House is being reimagined and commemorated at the IMAG on its 71st anniversary coinciding with its original opening on Oct. 31, 1949.
The IMAG History and Science Center announces the opening of its café version of the Snack House on Oct. 31. In an effort to recapture the nostalgia, mystique and excitement of the Snack House, the IMAG, working with Carbon Press of Fort Myers, refurbished the original 1950s Snack House sign (which is on permanent display in the museum) and also developed a larger-than-life mural of the Snack House diner counter from an original 1960s photograph of its interior.
Bringing back the history of this golden age of dining, the IMAG also features an exhibit of Snack House memorabilia including original menus, news clippings, matchbooks and photographs for our appreciation and reminiscence.
The IMAG invites you to its Snack House café opening to celebrate 44 years of the Snack House serving hungry Fort Myers’ diners and to usher in a new era of dining with good food and great times at the history and science center. As part of our celebration, the IMAG is providing a voucher for one item at 1949 Snack House menu prices to the first 100 guests with their paid admission to the museum.
Celebrate a Fort Myers tradition on Oct. 31, from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. The IMAG History & Science Center and the Snack House café are located at 2000 Cranford Ave., Fort Myers, FL 33916. For more information, call 239-243-0043 or visit theIMAG.org. The IMAG is currently open on Fridays from noon to 7 p.m., Saturdays from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., and Sundays from noon to 5 p.m..