Guest Commentary | Get involved: Together, our schools can rise to new heights
I am deeply honored to serve as a School Board Member for the School District of Lee County, representing the interests of our students, families, and dedicated staff. It fills me with immense pride to witness the unwavering commitment of our District towards fostering student success. Achieving excellence in education, empowering our students to reach their full potential, is indeed a formidable endeavor. Yet, our collective determination, demonstrated by our District and school leaders, teachers, and support staff, persists in propelling us towards our goal of becoming a world-class school district.
Recently, our District, in collaboration with the School Board, has revitalized our Strategic Plan, Envision 2030.
This initiative has outlined five crucial District priorities:
• Preparing ALL Students for Life after Graduation
• Enhancing a Safe Learning and Workplace Culture
• Recruiting, Developing, and Retaining Highly Effective Staff
• Strengthening Student, Family, and Community Partnerships
• Improving Internal Operating Systems
Under each of these priorities, our District staff has meticulously crafted objectives with associated actions, all of which will be closely monitored through key performance indicators. To delve deeper into the details of our Strategic Plan, stay updated by attending School Board meetings and visiting our website at leeschools.net.
In the face of adversity, we often speak of grit and determination. Our students and staff have demonstrated their resilience in the aftermath of hurricane Ian, and their unwavering commitment to excellence shines through in our latest state scores and the remarkable 2023 graduation rate. These achievements, in the face of daunting challenges, underscore the progress we make as we personalize each student’s educational journey, equipping them with the tools needed for success. The upcoming months will pass swiftly, and we will soon witness the 2024 graduating class take center stage. Our students and staff are toiling relentlessly to reach that milestone, and we take immense pride in their continued success.
As our graduates embark on their futures, our District remains committed to shaping the future of our community. With our population steadily increasing, our responsibility to serve more students continues to grow. This underscores the significance of the half penny sales tax, which benefits our entire community. It enables us to construct new schools, revamp aging facilities, upgrade technology, and enhance security across all our campuses.
As we march forward, I urge our families to remain informed and engaged.
Here are some essential points to consider:
• Get involved – Explore the various committees within the district, and become an active participant.
• Engage with your child’s school – Volunteer, join PTA, and participate in various school activities such as Parent University.
• Stay focused – Keep yourself updated on your student’s progress and involvement.
• Be aware of the upcoming Student Code of Conduct – Read it thoroughly and don’t hesitate to seek clarification if you have questions.
• For additional information, visit leeschools.net.
I am confident that our District will persist in its unwavering commitment to academic excellence and community development. Reach out to your schools, get involved, and together, let’s elevate our school district to new heights.
Debbie Jordan represents District 4 on the Lee County School Board.