homepage logo

Second arrest made in Cape teen’s shooting death

By CJ HADDAD - | Apr 17, 2024

Kayla Rincon-Miller, 15, died March 17 after she was shot in what police say was an ambush attempted robbery. PHOTO PROVIDED BY THE CAPE CORAL POLICE DEPARTMENT

A second arrest has been made in connection to the shooting death of 15-year-old Kayla Rincon-Miller.

Christopher Devon Horne Junior, 16, has been arrested and is being charged with principal in a homicide while engaged in a robbery, Cape Coral Police Chief Anthony Sizemore announced at an afternoon press conference today.

Wednesday marks one month to the date that Kayla was shot while walking to get food with two friends after seeing a movie at the Coralwood Mall.

“Although the investigation is ongoing, we thought it was important to share this pivotal piece of the puzzle with the community with the arrest of Mr. Horne,” Sizemore said. “We have been constantly updated the Rincon-Miller family, and today is no exception. We spoke with the family, (and) her parents earlier upon the arrest of Mr. Horne and prior to this news conference.”

“Our detectives continue to work around the clock, and this arrest is another culminating factor in that work, which does continue. In the beginning we made a commitment that we wouldn’t stop until everyone involved in this horrific murder was brought to justice, and today is proof that we continue to work towards that end. There’s more work to be done, and we will not stop until we are able to achieve justice for Kayla, and more arrests are coming.

Sizemore said “quite a few” more arrests will be coming regarding Kayla’s death, and he could not disclose if Horne was the shooter that night.

The first arrest was made March 19.

Thomas Roy Stein, 16, of North Fort Myers, was arrested two days after the March 17 shooting and charged as a principal to a murder while engaged in a robbery.

He has since been charged as an adult and faces adjudication on one count of homicide without premeditation and three counts of robbery with a firearm. Police have said they do not believe he was the shooter.

Stein has pleaded not guilty.

According to the CCPD, the shooting occurred after car pulled up behind the girls and blinded them with its lights. An occupant or occupants jumped out and tried to rob the trio before one fired, striking Kayla in the chest. The other two girls were not injured.

The car then fled southbound on Southeast 16th Place.

Kayla was conscious and alert when police arrived. Despite lifesaving efforts by arriving officers and medical personnel, including the application a military-grade compress, she died after being trauma-alerted to the hospital.

Members of Kayla’s family have started a GoFundMe to help with medical and funeral expenses. As of Thursday afternoon, the online fundraiser had raised more than $23,500 towards a $30,000 goal.

To donate, visit gofundme.com/f/kayla-rincon-miller.

CCPD asks that anyone with information regarding the shooting, anyone who has any surveillance videos that may help detectives, or who saw what happened, to call the Cape Coral Police Department at 239-574-3223, or Crime Stoppers at 1-800-780-TIPS (8477).