×
×
homepage logo
STORE

F.I.S.H. of Sanibel-Captiva to hold annual 10K race as virtual event Oct. 24-31

By Staff | Aug 18, 2020

For the past 11 years, F.I.S.H. of Sanibel-Captiva has had great fun with its annual 10K Race 4 F.I.S.H. However, this year out of an abundance of caution and care for the public, it will take place virtually.

The pandemic has created a crisis of all forms, including an economic crisis for the island’s tourism-driven economy. F.I.S.H. recognizes the toll that COVID-19 has taken on the community and knows that there remains a lot of uncertainty and strain ahead. While the race is a different format, F.I.S.H. is hoping that people across the country and world will lace up their running shoes to support the cause.

As in years past, Hortoon’s creator Dave Horton designed the 12th annual logo, depicting his lovable animal characters wearing masks, representing recommended safety measures during the pandemic and Halloween costumes to celebrate the month of October. Horton has been crafting amusing cartoon drawings for newsprint since he was in high school, starting with his school newspaper and eventually landing a deal with Hallmark when he was just a teenager.

“Dave is a multi-talented artist and we are grateful to have him design our race logo each year,” Race Committee chair Diane Cortese said. “His artistic talent and sense of humor add something special to our race with each design.”

While the “official” date of the race was scheduled for Oct. 24, runners may participate virtually and log their time at any point from when they register through Oct. 31. Registration will open later this month through the Fort Myers Track Club. More information, including incentives for runners who help register groups or raise funds for F.I.S.H., will be available on the F.I.S.H. and Fort Myers Track Club Websites. Participants will receive a dri-fit shirt with the Hortoon’s logo, as well as a matching face covering that will be mailed to them.

“We are glad that the 12th annual 10K Race 4 F.I.S.H. can take place despite the current situation,” Cortese said. “We are anticipating more runner participation for the virtual 10K since the race can take place anywhere at any time where all can be safe.”

To become a sponsor for the virtual 10K event, please contact Cortese at Dianerc10@gmail.com.

For more information about F.I.S.H. of Sanibel-Captiva and its programs and services, contact Executive Director Alicia Tighe at 239-472-4775 or visit www.fishofsancap.org.