Voting begins for Breeze’s Athlete of the Month
Voting for the Cape Coral Breeze Athlete of the Month for May is now open.
There were a number top performances from student-athletes in The Breeze’s coverage area and now it’s up to readers to decide who will earn top honors for the month.
Nominees for May include:
• Sam Duvall, Mariner, Baseball: Duvall tossed six scoreless innings of relief for a Triton team that scored six runs in the top half of the ninth to defeat Fort Myers on the road. Duvall surrendered just two hits and struck out four in the effort.
• Kevin Martinez, Island Coast, Baseball: Martinez was impressive over 6 2/3 innings in a win over Ida Baker, striking out six and allowing two earned runs. In that same game he was also 2-for-4 with two doubles. He followed that up with a walk and RBI in a win over Gulf Coast the next game.
• Dandre Morrison, Ida Baker, Track & Field: Morrison finished first in both the 100 (10.86 seconds) and 200 (21.93 seconds) at the 3A-3 District Championships for a Bulldog team that claimed the district crown.
• Keon Anderson, Island Coast,Track & Field: Anderson took home the 3A-3 District Championship in both the shot put (15.62m) and discus (43.30m) events.
• Wyatt Whalen, Bishop Verot, Track & Field: Whalen took home the FHSAA 2A State Championship in shot put and finished third in discus. Both were personal and school records for the junior.
• GiGi Molloy, North Fort Myers, Track & Field: Malloy finished second in the FHSAA 3A State Championships in pole vault. She tied for first in actual height vaulted but finished second due to one more miss than the champion.
Visit the Cape Coral Breeze home page at www.capecoralbreeze.com