Vote for The Breeze Athlete of the Month
Eight staff-selected Athletes of the Week go to first public-participation round
Whether on the gridiron, in the pool, on the court or at the lanes, the athletic competition to start the fall high school sports season has been exciting, to say the least.
Cape Coral Breeze Sports Department staff has been selecting standout student-athletes throughout the month, with some notable performances across the board. With The Breeze Athlete of the Week feature in full swing, the end of September means you, the fans and readers, are called upon to select the Breeze Newspapers Athlete of the Month.
This online voting system can be found at www.capecoralbreeze.com and will feature our staff’s eight selections from the month and their accomplishment that week.
The voting opens today and runs through Sept. 30. The Breeze will compile the votes and announce the winner online and in print Oct. 8.
The Breeze Sports staff will continue to be around the area each and every week reporting on local high school sports and selecting two Athletes of the Week, who then will move on to the fan-picked Athlete of the Month.
The nominees for the September Athlete of the Month, in week order are:
– Natalie McKenna – Oasis High School volleyball: The sophomore slammed 23 kills in three matches for the Lady Sharks, including a 14-kill performance on Aug. 26 versus Community Christian. McKenna also contributed 10 aces and 13 digs that week.
– Jordan Rizzo – Ida Baker High School football: Caught four passes for 101 yards and a touchdown in Ida Baker’s 40-0 win over Mariner. Also returned the second-half kickoff 94 yards and a score.
– Konnor Gregory – Mariner High School bowling: Gregory bowled a personal best 280 in a win over Riverdale and also led his team to a win over North Fort Myers with a game-high 204.
– Madison Fischer – North Fort Myers High School volleyball: Fischer recorded an impressive 21 kills for the Lady Red Knights volleyball team in a match versus Mariner, also contributing 17 digs and 4 aces in four sets.
– Maddie Lehman – Cape Coral High School swimming: Finished first in the 100 freestyle and 100 backstroke and two relay events versus North Fort Myers and helped her team take home first in three events at the Shark Relays.
– Levontai “Bo” Summersett – North Fort Myers football: Totaled 311 yards (156 passing, 155 rushing) and four touchdowns during the Red Knight’s 50-7 win over Mariner.
– Chris Graves – Bishop Verot football: Recorded nine receptions for 185 yards and two touchdowns in Verot’s win over Port Charlotte. Also returned an interception for a touchdown and blocked a field goal.
– Andre Devine – North Fort Myers football: Carried the ball 15 times for 261 yards and four touchdowns, including runs of 84 and 54 yards in the Red Knights’ win over Ida Baker. Also hauled in one reception for 15 yards.
–Connect with Associate Sports Editor CJ Haddad on Twitter: @haddad_cj