League of Women Voters of Lee County celebrates 70 years of advocacy and voter education
Commissioner Frank Mann was honored Saturday, Dec. 7, when members of the League of Women Voters of Lee County celebrated its 70th Anniversary. Founded in 1949, LWV Lee County was formed to help women carry out their responsibilities to vote and to shape public policy. In 1973, LWV members voted to allow men to become members and LWV Lee County welcomed Mann as the first male member.
Also honored was Clara Anne Graham, president of the local League, who has been granted the Albert Nelson Marquis Lifetime Achievement Award. In presenting the Who’s Who award, Laura Miller, a past president of LWVLC, noted that it recognizes “career longevity and demonstrated unwavering excellence in her chosen field.”
The meeting at the Collaboratory on Jackson Street was also the occasion for the league’s annual meet and greet. At that time elected officials and others who serve the public are invited so that they can be thanked for their service to the community.
League accomplishments were memorialized in proclamations from the city of Bonita Springs, city of Cape Coral, Village of Estero, city of Fort Myers and the Lee County Board of County Commissioners.
During 2020, the league will continue advocacy and voter education with voter registration, candidate forums, voter guides and educational programs.
The public is invited to upcoming educational events, see my.lwv.org/florida/lee-county/calendar for more information.
* Jan. 4, 9-11 a.m., Presidential Elections. . . Making Every Vote Equal. The Collaboratory, 2031 Jackson St., Fort Myers.
* Jan. 22, 5:30-8 p.m., Screening and Discussion of Backpack Full of Cash, A film “Exploring the Cost of Privatizing America’s Schools.” Fort Myers Regional Library, 2540 First St., Fort Myers.
* Jan. 25, 8 a.m. to 8 p.m., Cela Tega 2020, “The Estero Bay is in trouble: What Citizens can do to help” Cohen Center Ballroom, Florida Gulf Coast University, Fort Myers.
* Feb. 1, 9-11:30am, Celebration of the LWVUS 100th Anniversary. Featuring Patricia Brigham, president, League of Women Voters of Florida. Coast Commons at Shell Point, 17500 On Par Blvd., Fort Myers. Breakfast Meeting. $20.
* March 7, 9-11 a.m., Affordable Housing and the Sadowski Act. The Collaboratory, 2031 Jackson St., Fort Myers.
* April 4, 9-11 a.m., Reproductive Health and Justice. The Collaboratory, 2031 Jackson St., Fort Myers.