homepage logo

Community Foundation offers how-to to area charities

By Staff | Jan 6, 2017

Registration is open for a presentation on how non-cash charitable gifts are a form of donation.

The Cape Coral Community Foundation will host a Professional Financial Advisors Lunch & Learn, titled “Helping Donors Give Non-Cash Assets,” on Thursday from 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. in the Fellowship Hall at Faith Presbyterian Church. The event is free with registration, with lunch covered.

“We do something twice a year to engage both the non-profit executive leadership, as well as our professional advisory community,” Michael Chatman, president of the foundation, said.

The guest speakers will include Chatman and Phil Cubeta, who directs and teaches the Chartered Advisor in Philanthropy curriculum at The American College of Financial Services. With over 20 of years of experience in charitable gift planning, he will discuss charitable gifts of non-cash assets.

“It’s to raise more charitable assets to benefit the non-profit organizations,” he said.

According to Chatman, the average Southwest Florida donor has 7 percent of their assets in cash. The other 93 percent is in non-cash assets, like real estate, life insurance, stocks and personal property.

“So much of the money that non-profits are seeking to raise are cash assets,” he said, adding that donors are experiencing fatigue from solely cash donations. “This presents an incredible fundraising opportunity for non-profits and an opportunity for advisors to increase assets under management.”

Non-cash gifts are an untapped stream of new donations to support programs and operations.

At the event, professional advisors can learn how to increase their assets under management and help donors to simplify the process of non-cash giving to increase funding for non-profit organizations.

Some of the presentation’s key points will include:

– Charities almost always ask for cash. After cash, they seek public assets – assets that are the responsibility of a financial manager.

– The win/win is to have clients donate non-cash assets as part of an overall plan for wealth transfer and business exit.

– In the process, by using the right charitable tools, advisors can expect to take their Assets Under Management business to a new level.

“How professional advisories choose the right charitable tools to help their clients make these contributions,” Chatman said.

They can also learn how to become certified as a Chartered Advisor in Philanthropy.

“It is a special credential,” he said of the certification also known as CAP. “It allows them to talk to their clients about the different charitable planning tools that are available.”

Registration for the event is required no later than Tuesday.

To register, contact the Cape Coral Community Foundation at 239-542-5594 or CCCF@CapeCoralCF.org. For more information, visit: www.capecoralcf.org/.

Faith Presbyterian Church is at 4544 Coronado Parkway.